Ethos and Values
ETHOS AND VALUES
At St. Wulstan’s, all are valued, all can achieve and all are loved. We have high expectations of each member of our school community and are committed to our school mission:
‘Believe to Achieve: Love God, Love Learning, Love One Another.'
This forms the basis for our aims, values and long-term developments of the school. The school values its strong links with St. Wulstan’s Parish through school families, Parish Priest, staff and governors.
We aim to provide within our Catholic ethos:
- A place where Jesus is a constant presence in our lives
- Quality teaching and learning experiences, with high expectations of all staff and pupils.
- The skills to equip pupils to become independent learners
- Equality of opportunity for all to have full access to a broad and balanced curriculum
- Celebrate individual and collective achievements
- A place where everyone feels valued and respected as members of a community
- An environment in which high standards of behaviour, self-discipline and showing respect for the rights and views of others is everyday practice
- A school where parents and staff feel supported in their roles
Our school is a community of learning with a distinctive educational philosophy which is based on the Gospels which permeate all its activities. It is attentive to the needs of each individual child.
The curriculum is seen as a unity in which religious and secular elements cannot be separated. Every human experience is seen as an opportunity to deepen our knowledge and love of God.
We try to enable our children to be able to speak about the faith with some coherence and competence, and to express it in their prayer, worship and daily life. To ensure that this happens, approximately 10% of teaching time is allocated to RE.
The school community is expected to reflect the values of the Gospels and to express this in forgiveness, trust, freedom, justice, non-violence and discipline which is neither demeaning nor humiliating and the recognition of all achievement and talent.